What Would Life Be Like Without Feminism?
January 12, 2007
What do you think America would be like today if we never had feminism? And interesting question proposed by Cassius a Valedictorian Member of the Don’t Get Married Forum. Our brother nemo came back with quite an eloquent reply:
“Interesting question. It reminds me of historical science fiction novels where the CSA survived the Civil War or Germany won WWII, except in this case the good guys lost in the real world.
Let’s be more specific. Assume American women never got the right to vote. What effect would this have had on American and world politics?
1) No prohibition and no repeal. Women’s Temperance League members never get the vote. No gangster era in Chicago. Al Capone dies in a gangland shootout, and gets only a perfunctory notice in the obituary column. The Kennedys never make a fortune from bootlegging.
2) The era of profligate consumer credit that helped create the Great Depression is moderated because men have less pressure to kowtow to their wives’ lust for shopping. They prefer to buy beer instead. The Panic of ’29 ends by 1935.
3) The New Deal never includes Social Security – male voters do not allow a permanent liability to be assumed to solve a temporary problem.
4) The post-war Baby Boom would still be going on, and the population of the US would be over 400 million, with a lower percentage of Asians and Hispanics (recent immigrants) and a higher percentage of whites and blacks (descendants of less recent immigrants).
5) The UN wins the Korean War because male voters demand nothing less than total victory. Casualties are much higher, though. Mao barely keeps power after loss of face.
6) The ’60s don’t happen in the same way – less drugs, less s*x, probably less rock and roll [TOO BAD!]. The Pill is not accepted as an excuse for promiscuous s*x by the PatriarchyTM.
7) The Great Society never happens. Socialized medicine never gets a foothold in the US. Welfare is greatly limited. Welfare mothers remain a pitied minority, even in the inner cities.
The US supports South Vietnam after we pull our ground troops out. Saigon never falls. Communism collapses earlier because of increased US resolve and earlier Soviet economic implosion.
9) The space program keeps going after Apollo. Saturn V rockets and their evolutionary descendants keep flying because Vietnam is won, the Great Society never happens, and the prosperity of the ’60s continues for decades. Boys love their toys, and they don’t come any bigger or badder than moon rockets.
10) No JFK presidency because his dad never makes a fortune bootlegging. No assassination. No LBJ. The US military is allowed a free hand in Vietnam. The Wall in Washington is never built, but a traditional memorial in the Greek Revival style is built instead. The President of South Vietnam is the guest of honor at its dedication.
11) Nixon is still a crook, but his election to the presidency occurs in 1960 instead of 1968. He still resigns in disgrace. [We can't blame this one on feminism.]
12) The 1970s are not an era of drugs, stagflation, and national malaise. They resemble the 1950s, but with better electronics.
13) The Reagan Revolution never happens. He still becomes president, but in the 1970s. He still wins the Cold War, but the Great Society doesn’t need partial dismantling because it was never built in the first place. Iran kidnaps US hostages. The UN passes a resolution demanding their safe return. Iran says no. The Gulf War happens in 1979, except this time it’s Iran. A UN force occupies the oilfields of Iran and tells the Ayatollahs to play nice or their allowance will be cut.
14) The first manned mission to Mars occurs in the 1990s when a nuclear-powered manned spacecraft parks in orbit and sends down an Apollo-style lander.
15) The collapse of the Soviet Union in early 1970s allows Chinese reformers to “retire” Mao early. China becomes semi-capitalist a decade earlier. Hundreds of millions are lifted out of poverty.
16) The US responds to the oil crisis by drilling wells everywhere in US. Old Apollo vets from NASA are put in charge of solving the energy crisis. The US builds 500 nuclear reactors instead of 100. Three Mile Island never happens. OPEC collapses.
17) The collapse of OPEC causes the economic collapse of Saudi Arabia. The Bin Laden family loses its fortune. Osama is forced to stay in the construction business, and remains too busy working to feed his family to switch to the destruction business. 9/11/2001 is just another nice day in NYC.
18) Peace and prosperity sweep the planet, except for the former OPEC nations and Africa, which remains a matriarchy. The illegitimacy rate in Western societies never reaches double digits – peaks at 9%. The Moon colony graduates its first lunar-born high school class in 2003. Asteroid mining using nuclear technology allows Detroit to introduce the first Cadillacs with titanium bodies in 2005. Solar power satellites are launched by the US, but rented out to China. Panicky scientists fret that the reduction of coal usage in China may allow a second Little Ice Age to occur.
19) In 2007, NOW votes to disband. Its members are too busy fussing over numerous grandchildren. Also, they get sick and tired of being hit on by elderly lesbians at every annual meeting.”
In searching for yet even more answers of what life would be like without feminism, I discovered an interesting post “Too fat to live? Here’s why!” by Beartrap over at the Tops Victory blog. Beartrap believes we wouldn’t be so fat for starters.
“1. According to the American Obesity Association, 34.5 percent of Americans are obese; a staggering figure that seems to increase every year.
2. At the same time we have seen the percentage of women, both married and unmarried, who are entering the workforce swell from thirty-eight percent in 1960 to sixty-four percent in 2000 nearly doubling just as obesity rates have during the past 40 years!
So what’s the connection you ask? Well, back in the good-old days, women were the backbone of the American diet, cooking up wonderful meals made with fresh, healthy foods. In the modern, “liberated” world, women are too busy having careers and book clubs to concentrate on cooking, so one is left with only a few options to feed the family:
1) Fast food
2) processed foods
3) one could allow the kids, who will eat only candy and pizza, to feed themselves.
For some twisted reason, women are proud of this so-called liberation that allows them to work, but causes their families to bloat into jiggling tubs of inactivity. Liberation? Sounds more like subjugation…..to being fat!”
All in all, makes for a lively debate. I shall grab a yoo-hoo and look forward to the comments.