Afraid to Commit: Smart Young Men Want to Wait on Marriage
November 23, 2006
So the smart men of the world want kids, houses and lots of nookie. And they want women also; but not with marriage. Not until they’ve aged a bit.
So says the latest study to probe the minds of America’s smart young men, aged 25 to 33. The study found 10 reasons why men won’t commit. Reasons ranging from the ease of finding s*x partners to the desire to avoid financial risks of divorce.
The authors of the study, called The State of Our Unions, said they were puzzled by their findings, based on face-to-face group interviews with 60 heterosexual men in Chicago, Washington, D.C. New Jersey, and Houston. The majority of these men are employed full-time with reported annual incomes between $20,000 and $36,000. Most have had some college or hold a BA. None of the men were married; three had kids.
The study also reached some additional conclusions. Among them:
- The men were highly critical of divorce. But they feel that couples should break up if they fall out of love, even if kids are involved.
- The men were not optimistic about the future of marriage as a lifelong commitment. They said people continue to change and grow and this makes it harder to stay married to one person for a lifetime.
Here’s the reaction the article received from men nationwide.
“You should have an article on why divorced men will not marry again. The responses would be very interesting. For example:
- They’ve already been taken to the cleaners at least once by a prior wife.
- If a woman has kids, she really has no use for a man. She’s got the house, the BMW, the kids, and his support and alimony.
- The women of today have taken the place of the man from yesteryear. They are today what they thought men were 40 years ago.
- They run the risk of meeting a female divorce attorney.
“It is no surprise that young men are unwilling to commit to marriage when their partners are willing to live with them and provide s****l and domestic services. The old and crude adage is still true: ‘Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free?’”
“I’m tired of the b.s. that it takes to even try to find a decent woman. In 95% …Dude, don’t be a tightwad, for $5 US, you can read the whole site, and your $5 buys us a beer – come on we’ve earned it… Just click here.